What is Accounts Payable Automation?
Accounts Payable (AP) Automation refers to the use of software and technology tools to replace everyday manual tasks, activities, and decisions related to invoice processing. This includes everything from extracting and validating header and line item data from invoice images, pairing PO items with your ERP, and assigning and routing invoices for approval.
- Capture physical and digital invoices into ERP, ECM, or Intelligent Data Capture solution
- Extract invoice header and detail data from invoice images using Intelligent Data Capture
- Validate invoice data against vendor and PO tables, ERP data, or other accounting system
- Export invoice image with validated invoice data to ECM or ERP for approvals
- Assign and Route invoices to approvers with automatic notifications
Software & Solutions
Designing and implementing an effective AP Automation solution typically includes the integration of two or more software platforms that work together. Most AP departments will have already implemented an Enterprise Resource Planning platform, such as Infor Lawson, but AP Automation includes the addition of Intelligent Data Capture and/or Enterprise Content Management.
- Intelligent Data Capture utilizes Advanced Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology to intelligently “read” an invoice image to recognize and extract keywords and values, including Invoice Number, Invoice Date, and Vendor Name.
- Enterprise Content Management typically refers to a document and records management platform that includes content capture, indexing, digital workflow, access, integration, and archive.
Benefits of AP Automation
With effective AP Automation, your organization can avoid costly delays and errors that occur every day during invoice processing. By replacing manual tasks, activities, and decisions, invoices are handled with nearly 100% accuracy and your AP Processors are free to focus on exceptions and other higher-value activities.
- Get vendors paid faster with fewer errors
- Create transparency and visibility into your invoice processing workflows
- Measure solution and team efficiency, and identify bottlenecks
- Qualify for early payment discounts and avoid late payment penalties
- Simultaneously reduce costs and improve service levels
Free Accounts Payable Automation Scorecard
Let RPI Consultants evaluate your current workflows, costs, and invoice volume to show you how much you’re actually spending to process an invoice.
AP Automation with RPI Consultants
RPI Consultants has been working with large enterprise organizations since 1999 to reduce costs and approve efficiency for Accounts Payable workflows through the intelligent implementation of technology and software solutions. Partnering with the industry’s leading software providers, RPI Consultants has the right combination of industry, functional, and technology expertise to help you automate your invoice processing workflows.
From the RPI Knowledge Base
Intelligent Data Capture for AP Automation
Read our White Paper on how Intelligent Data Capture replaces manual data entry and processing for invoice processing workflows in Accounts Payable.
About RPI Consultants
RPI Consultants is an industry leader in Enterprise Resource Planning, Enterprise Content Management, and Business Process Automation technical consulting services. RPI has extensive experience designing, implementing, and supporting Infor Lawson, Perceptive Content (ImageNow), Kofax, OnBase by Hyland, and Brainware by Hyland (formerly Perceptive Intelligent Capture).
RPI provides professional and technical services for new installations and upgrades, solution and technical health checks, new solution designs and implementations, custom development and system integrations, custom training, and environment and product migrations. RPI is also an authorized license reseller. For more information about RPI Consultants, including license and service quotes, product demonstrations, or general inquiries, visit www.rpic.com/contact.